I sat down and ended for about an hour last night before bed, and made a little progress. I hate to admit that the thought of restarting my writing streak crossed my mind.
Today looks good, and I feel optimistic. There’s a good chance I can edit through at least the majority of what’s left in Died for You. I don’t, however, have tomorrow available, nor Tuesday. Otherwise? I’m looking at Wednesday, as long as no surprises come along.
Let’s revisit writing a book a week. I thought, perhaps, I could focus on the amount of free days I had to churn out books of various lengths. However, this doesn’t allow me sufficient time to rewrite/edit. I’m not the guy who writes a perfect first draft. And though I hate to admit it, the rough draft, for me, is just getting the story realized. The second draft is much better, and a third to clean it up. I mix the second and third drafts together, going back and rereading as I go. It’s not the best method, but it’s about all I can stand.
So how can I do a book a week? I’m thinking I’ve got to focus on shorter works per week, which is fine, and one long book per month. I’ve considered this approach before, and maybe it makes more sense. I also would like to go back and write under some of my other pen names, but I’m not going to until I can accomplish at least one month of writing a book a week.
So… here’s the idea… targeting October –
- One book a week, for three weeks. Length to vary between 15k to 25k.
- One novel a month, to be finished (with full attention) the last week of the month. The key to succeeding with the novel is to be writing it all month long.
- Edit each short work the week after its completion.
- Edit the novel throughout the entire next month.
This will allow me to release a novel a month, with a month to edit. The novellas will release every week, except for the week the novel is released.
This would give me a minimum word count of 27,000 words a week, and 108,000 words a month (weekly: 12,000 novel + 15,000 short story), with maybe another weekly 1k-2k for editing additions.
I’ll try to create a calendar before October starts.
- Days 48 Word Count: 499
- Day 48 Editing: 2,030
- Current Works in Progress Word Count: Died for You: 74,399 (editing completed through 54,753)
ACCUMULATED STATS –
- Writing Streak Average Word Count per Day: 783
- Current Writing Streak: 3 (Best Writing Streak: 38 days)
- Writing Streak Word Count: 2,348 (Best writing Streak Word Count: 66,279)
- September: 28,278
- September Ave. Word Count: 943
- YTD: 202,977
- Ave. Word Count YTD: 748